View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Race isn't the only thing, but it does hit black kids harder across all socioeconomic strata than white kids.

A white kid from from a single mom family in the Projects is going to have a harder time than a black kid from a two parent stable household in suburbia.

Having grown up in two diametrically opposed places: One of 4 white kids in the Projects with a single mom and the stable family house in professional communities with the remarried dad (Army base overseas, all kids of all races that got along surprisingly well) I can compare both groups. No panacea but I lived it.
race matters, not nearly as
much as family. not even close. yet we never stop talking about race, and never talk about the benefits of encouraging family values which develop happy children.

that white kid in a single
family home in the projects will
struggle more than a black
kid i’m a two parent family in suburbia. He will also struggle more than a black kid with two
loving parents who lives next door to him in the same project.

sure, theres white privilege and wealth privilege. But i’ve seen it all, and none of them offers nearly as
much privilege, as love/stability/support privilege. i’m wrong on a lot of things, not on that. it’s not a panacea, but it’s close.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-01-2019 at 06:25 PM..