View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
sokinwet

We have had to follow these reg's in HUD funded housing programs since 1998. Total BS...in most cases. Here's what I've seen in the programs I administer. In a community with 14,000+ homes built prior to 1978 last year's DPH stat's showed 2 children with elevated lead levels; 0 the yr. before. Costs for simple work will be astronomically higher. MA has very few lead safe renovators...not all are "good" contractors. Contractor costs for compliance, mandatory lead testing for employees and huge possible liability will be passed on to consumers. MA law is stricter than fed law and does not recognize fed's " interim controls",meaning known lead hazards in properties with kids <6 must be fully abated or you can end up in court. Our average cost for full abatement in properties exceeded 20K per unit and most projects require relocation of occupants! Lead is a serious issue in many areas but like everything else, the Fed's "one size fits all"approach creates more problems than it solves. My programs do very few rehab projects that "impact a painted surface" anymore. While the "notice"part of this can perhaps protect one kid who has imbeciles for parents, I predict the opt out provision for owners without kids & contractorswill be very popular.

Last edited by sokinwet; 04-06-2010 at 09:06 PM..
sokinwet is offline   Reply With Quote