View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

See below in red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"If the weapon that the school shooter had was not semiautomatic I would surmise that the coach would have stopped him "

Major Hasan used a pistol, and he killed 13 trained soldiers, and shot more than 30 others, before being stopped. I agree that a pistols are less deadly than rifles with high capacity magazines, but this is one small piece of the puzzle. I suspect Major Hasan had some training and they are all small pieces

"The only time so far that a gun was fired by a pilot was by accident "
The pilot was in a plane and shot thru the fuselage,
not in a school surrounded by classrooms, #^&#^&#^&#^& happens

Not sure what your point is. In my town, I'm not sure a cop has fired a weapon on duty in 20 years. Does that mean they don't need guns?

"Think about the flip side of arming teachers"

I am thinking about it. The flip side might be a price we are willing to pay.
Have your children ever done something stupid or dangerous that you absolutely never would have thought possible, remember far more kids get killed in unintentional shootings than school shootings. There are 100,000 schools in the USA, now think about the statistical possibilities for accidents. And would you want to be the teacher with a gun in his hand when the pumped up and scared cop shows up. The statistics for friendly fire injuries in combat are between 2 and 20% of fatalities and the police have a plan to prevent those for swat teams but they do occur, now throw in some unknown players with guns just to make things interesting.

How about a national guardsman at every single school, every single day, just inside the front door, armed to the teeth. As I have said, I don't like the sight of that. But I like it more than the sight of tiny caskets being covered with dirt.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin