View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #36
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I don't know what you mean by a 'scam'?
Ozone was a real issue, and globally it was a significant achievement to reduce the depletion of Ozone in the atmosphere by eliminating CFC's

Note; I don't have time to dig out a text and look it up, but from memory, with the caveat that I'm not an atmospheric chemist:

HFC's are a greenhouse gas. Not as effective at trapping solar radiation as CFC's, so besides the ozone benefit of banning cfc's there is a reduction in greenhouse gas, albeit a slight one. We are essentially swapping one GHG with another, with the added benefit of not destroying the Ozone layer.

the amount of HFC's in the atmosphere vs CO2 is orders of magnitude smaller, although ideally, a non-greenhouse gas would be used as a propellant or coolant. the net benefit of HFC's over CFC's to the ozone layer is significant, even if there was no significant reduction in greenhouse gas. Think of it as the lesser of two evils.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"