View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
do schools teach which political party was on the wrong side of the slavery and segregation issues? i bet not.

if today’s whites are responsible for slavery, why aren’t today’s democrats.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Today, Black Americans are the strongest Democratic constituency and White Southerners are the strongest Republican group—but it used to be the other way around. The usual story places 1960s civil rights policymaking at the center of the switch, but an important prior history in the North and the South made it possible. Keneshia Grant finds that the Great Migration north changed the Democratic Party because Black voters became pivotal in Democratic cities like New York, Chicago, and Detroit, leading politicians to respond, including new Black elected officials. Boris Heersink finds that Southern Republican state parties became battles between racially mixed and lily-white factions, mostly for control of patronage due to national convention influence. The lily-white takeovers enabled early Republican gains in the South. These trends predated national civil rights policymaking and help explain how we reached today’s divided regional and racial politics.

https://www.niskanencenter.org/the-r...racial-switch/
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin