View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #56
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I read it. the point is that he is saying that smoking is non fatal.
If two out of three smokers do not die from smoking related causes, apparently, it is not fatal for most smokers. Who knows why? Maybe genetics, maybe those two out of three were moderate smokers, maybe they smoked the right kind tobacco if there is such a thing.

Is eating hamburgers fatal. If you are genetically prone to die from eating them, or if you eat too many, or if you eat the wrongly prepared hamburgers, they might kill you, eventually, or sooner rather than later. Does that mean that hamburgers are fatal?

Too much of anything can be fatal. So everything must be fatal. Since none of us lives forever, life must be fatal.

None of that, not even if cigarette smoking is fatal or not, was the point of my response and my question. I responded to your afterthought that you believe that the tobacco industry gave him $100,000. Implying, I guess, the industry bribed him. Considering everything Pence said in the bit you posted, it would seem that the $100,000 given to him . . . if it really was . . . was money ill spent and a failed bribe. He said it was bad for you and you should quit. Does that sound like he was earning that hundred grand?