Thread: NRA
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #51
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
There was a law on the books that said a person convicted of a felony could not own firearms.....did that law stop the guy in NY from killing those firefighters? He served 17 years for manslaughter and still got his hands on them. So now we pass a feel good law prohibiting high capacity magazines.......if someone wants one they will still get one no matter if its legal or not.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
TDF, all you're doing is pointing out that public safety laws are not 100% foolproof. In equally shocking news, scientists announced today that water is wet.

Using your logic, why not eliminate the police and all criminal laws? After all, those laws don't eliminate crime, right? What possible difference is there between what you said, and what I just said? You're saying that if a public safety law isn't 100% fool-proof, it's therefore useless. That's all you saying, you can say it as many times as you want, it's still idiotic.

If something is illegal, some folks will get their hands on them. But not everyone has the means to acquire illegal weapons. Nor is every crime is committed with the planning and premidation required to obtain black-market illegal weapons. Some crimes (not all, but some) are more spur-of-the-moment, and in those cases, the kook uses what's at his fingertips. In thaty scenario, the less lethal the wepon at his disposal, the lower the expected body count, all other things being equal.

I notice you chose not to answer my question about what weapon you'd prefer a would-be mass murderer to have if he went to your kids' school.

This killer in Newtown had major mental issues. It's highly unlikely he'd be able to get his hands on illegal weapons. The only person he talked to was his mother.

TDF, there isn't a single public safety law on the books that can't be circumvented. Not one. Using your 'logic', I guess we should eliminate all those laws. Incredible.