View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Hookedagain

Hey Rockport, I am not familiar with your area but as long as you're within the legal limit you'll be fine. Early in the seaeon they are pretty easy to decoy. Start with a doz. decoys, and some sort of a blind to hide your profile. Depending on where you plan to hunt this could be a variety of things. One of the places I use has a lot of natural cover so I use some large tree branches with a bunch of brush on them. Enough so I can sit on a milk create and still not be seen. I usually try to make it around 3'-4' high and around 5' long, that fits me and my son.

Set the decoys in a "J" or in two small "families" with a hole in between them ( 5 yards around). You want to leave a space for them to land. If you put all of the decoys togather they will land outside of your spread, and usually out of shooting range. I set my spread somewhere around 30-40 yards away from my blind. They always land "INTO" the wind so set your landing pocket accordingly.

A decent duck call is a better choice than a cheap one. Not just the sound but cheap ones seem to come apart, freeze up, and don't always work when you want them to.

Depending on where you hunt a boat or canoe may be helpful. If its a hard bottom
and the water is not too deep, waders and a dog will work. What ever you do....Have Fun. Although the amount of work put in is not equal to the return most days, its a blast. If you want to shoot the s@#% about more on duck hunting PM me your #>
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote