View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Unless you're JohnnyD who believes that the Constitution is the be all, end all and common sense and common courtesy should take a back seat to it. If he ever has children, I'd be curious to know how he'd feel if I started saying things like #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, #^&#^&#^&#^&, #^&#^&#^&#^& and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& in front of them.
Since the Constitution isn't the be all, end all, why stop at restricting free speech? Let's get rid of independent news papers and replace them with strictly state-sponsored media, let's throw out due process and restrictions on illegal search and seizures.

I'm obviously being extreme but the point is all the same. Where exactly is the line? If the government is going to be allowed to ignore the Constitution and restrict speech based on "common sense" and "common courtesy", what else are they going to be allowed to restrict based on "common sense."

Give the government an inch and they end up taking a mile. I'm not willing to give the government any more inches because they have already taken miles that we'll never get back.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 06-13-2012 at 09:29 AM..