View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I find this Newsweek article to be very interesting, and very revealing of something other than the obvious intent. Anyone care to comment?

Google: How Murderer Charles Manson and Donald ... - newsweek.com
Sure I will comment.
Trump is not Hitler.
Trump is NOT Charles Manson.

Trump is a charismatic narcissist who knows how to talk to people and sell them without saying anything (or anything true). You might say Obama had shades of this as well, he was a very good orator and connected with people in an emotional way that other candidates hadn't (some of which was probably b/c of race, others was 'hope and change'. Most good politicians probably also share similar speaking skills mentioned in the article.

Trump knows his base of the voters will stick with him, so he plays to that. Hence his 'I could shoot someone on 5th Ave' comment.

If you do not think that political scientists, sociologists and political strategists will not look to and study his campaign style and language and in some ways try to emulate it, you are mistaken. People will be studying this election for a long, long time...

From the article (my bold added)
“A charismatic leader knows how to speak to people in a way that will emotionally engage those people,” Smaller told Newsweek.

Smaller is clear that he does not believe President Donald Trump is similar to the convicted killer, or that their followers have any shared beliefs or characteristics, but he did say we can look to the current president to see how language is used to form a bond with followers.
“Our current president speaks in an emotional or affective way to large numbers of people in our country who feel a kind of alienation or disconnection from the government,” he said. “They feel very responded to and become his political base.”

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"