View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I think his point about "you didn't make that" is that your business was built on the backs I your employees.
Cost of living has gone up about 20%-30% in the last 15 years... Wages... Not so much.
Must be that mental illness again
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
(1) Your assumption of what he meant is quite a leap, if you look at what the man actually said. Obama said business folks benefit from folks who build roads and bridges, and they benefit from sacrifices made by schoolteachers. (All that is true, by the way. But it's also pointless, because business owners continue to support that infastructure by paying taxes. I don't know why Obama felt the need to point out that we benefit from roads and bridges and schools, because I have never heard an influential conservative say otherwise)

(2) Do employees break their backs at work for free? I sure don't. Your point assumes that business owners are exploiting their employees. Where's the evidence of that? Unfortunately for liberals, not every wealthy American is a sinister, cartoonish version of Mr Potter from "It's A Wonderful Life" or Mr Burns from "The Simpsons". Liberals can beat the "blame the rich" drum all they want, and I'm certain they believe it's a valid point, but it's stupid nonetheless.

Eben, you sarcastically throw around the term mental illness. What do you call it when a President consistently blames succesful people for the challenges faced by others?

One person's wealth does not cause another person's poverty. Wealth is not finite, it's not like a pizza. If Bill Gates earns another million today (and he probably will), that does NOT mean there's a million less for the rest of us. In fact, it's better for all of us if he earns another million, because he pays a high tax rate on that, which lessens the burden on the rest of us.

To claim otherwise is, well, a mental illness. The irrefutable fact is, the existence of wealthy people is a good thing for the non-wealthy. As a group, they pay a hugely disproportionate share of taxes, they create jobs, and they give a lot to charity. Yuo never hear Obama say these things. Because it's easier for him to blame them for his idiotic decisions.