View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I didn't say that they initiated, started whatever.
The fact is that War was declared by GWB, (and FDR). In terms of Japan (if I recall, Germany declared war on us first, we followed suit) and Afghanistan, they were 100% justified, provoked by an attack.

I see a clear distinction between those situations and Iraq.
that's all...
"I didn't say that they initiated, started whatever."

I must have somehting wrong with me, because that's twice this week I thought someone said somethiing (you and Spence) and maybe you didn't say it.

I asked this...

"Oh, Bush started the war in Afghanistan?
Do you think that FDR started the war with Japan in WWII? "

And you said this...

"Yes and Yes."

I also distinguish Afghanistan and WWII from Iraq. We were not attacked in a preemptive strike by Iraq, although they did fire at some American aircraft patrolling the no-fly zone, which could easily be called an act of war in my opinion. If my kid is flying that jet, I don't want his commander in chief giving a pass to some despot taking shots at him.

War was declared by Bush afetr we were attacked on 09/11 (and long aftre Al Queda declared war on us). Similarly, FDR declared war on Japan after Pearl Harbor (and aftre Japan declared war on us). If someone declares war on us and attacks us, and THEN we declare war on them and attack them, I don't see how you say we started that war.