Thread: Coincidence?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #28
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
isn't that part of the design?
Not necessarily...the Drone had Encryption built in both in the control signal and the GPS signal...so if they didn't use it right then its a security issue....not a design issue.

For the control signal they just jammed the radio signal.....didn't fudge with encryption at all. Just found the frequency it was operating at and broadcast a bunch of garbage to it....which just forced it into autopilot

Its the GPS Signal that makes you scratch your head...they had to break the Encryption to change the coordinates. The US probably used a weak encryption algorithm to increase performance...and they got burned.

They had an issue before with the video feeds in these where they shut off the encryption on them to increase performance...and got burned. my guess is they probably figured they could go with a lower level encryption on the GPS signal....underestimating what Iran was capable of cracking (bet they had a little help too i.e. China, Russia)....and got burned

Its like giving somebody a plug and they take the hooks off because it will cast better...is it the plug design that is at fault because the guy isn't catching any fish with it....

Somebody's head is going to roll over this one I bet.....I think this is Human Error/Bad Judgement that caused this to happen

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 12-16-2011 at 02:47 PM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."