View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I would not advise doing ground source heat pumps in NE, we do not have real warm geothermal here. Your gain over air source will not pay for your investment during the life of the system. If you were in Iceland geothermal is plentiful, in fact they can in some locations just pump hot water out of the ground. Here the soil temperature is roughly equal to the latitude.
An air to air ductless heatpump is typically one of the most economical ways to heat and has one of the lowest installation costs. If you go to this site you can compare costs for different types of fuels and heating systems, based on your energy costs.
https://www.efficiencymaine.com/ener...or-homeowners/
You can do a solar system for 0$ up front here in VT, not sure how the rate structure is in CT.
I did my solar with $0 laid out, but I don't save much, as I have to buy the electricity from the solar panel company. Would have been $30k to buy it, which is absurd.

We've also had an issue with birds nesting under there and then dying, so you can make a case I'm not really helping the planet. Had to spend more money to put guards under the panels to prevent bird infestation. Then it might make it harder to sell my house, because you can only do a 25 year lease. It's not NEARLY as user friendly as it could be.