View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I thought Orban was fulfilling the wishes of the majority of the Hungarian people. He was duly elected wasn't he? What is the undemocratic power that he has developed? Is hungry no longer a democracy?
No, it’s just Hungary first not rule by one man with no limits on power.

Peter Marki Zay was confused when he heard on Wednesday that he might be stripped of his executive authority as the mayor of Hodmezovasarhely, a city in south-eastern Hungary.

Local officials had earlier been told that to fight a rapidly spreading coronavirus pandemic, they should dispense with council meetings and make speedy decisions themselves. But then the nationalist government of prime minister Viktor Orban tabled a bill in parliament to subject every mayoral decision to review and approval by county panels, mostly appointees from the ruling Fidesz party.

To opposition politicians like Mr Marki Zay as well as civil rights campaigners and Mr Orban’s many critics across Europe, the move was proof that Hungary’s self-styled “illiberal democrat” leader was using the cover of a public health crisis to stifle any remaining opposition to his rule rather than fight a health emergency.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin