View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Would you take a 9 year old little girl into a public restroom?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I have baby-sat my nieces a zillion times, and I can't tell you how many times, when they were around 9 years old, I walked them to the entrance of a public women's room and waited. It never occurred to me that I'm narrow-minded for not being comfortable with a grown man walking in there with my nieces. It never occurred to be that if Willie Horton said "I'm a woman", that courtesy suggests that I hold the door open for him/her so he could follow my nieces in there.

In a perfect world, all public restrooms would be single toilet and gender neutral. But they weren't built that way originally (because the people who built them never fathomed we'd go this far over the edge), and we can't retroactively modify all of them to make it so.

So someone is going to have to sacrifice personal comfort for the comfort of others. I don't especially like the idea of asking little girls to make the sacrifice so that adult males can go into the ladies room. I don't want to see those people harassed in the mens room either, but I'm of the opinion that adults make sacrifices for children, not the other way around.