View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #13
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
If you are talking a driveway, I agree. If you are talking a walkway or patio, I strongly disagree. I have a 20X20 patio of stamped concrete and a 6X40' walkway. Both are over 5 or 6 years old. Neither had cracked. I use a sealer I buy from Contractors Supply in East P RI and it's about $200.00 for 5 gallons. 5 gallons have lasted me 4 years.

I use a roller to apply and the one trick I found out is to apply when it's not in the sun and relatively cool. Doesn't get tacky, doesn't bubble and goes on evenly with a roller. We love the look.
I have nothing bad to say about it but I don't know how it would work for a driveway.
The cracking is kind of interesting as we have NO cracking on both areas. The contractor cut relief lines into the cement after it dried so it can expand and contract with the weather.
My driveway is quite large (IMO)....35x100, and I too buy my sealant at that same Contractor's Supply in EP...think it cost me $180+tax last time (5gal)... >>ouch>>....I never felt I had enough relief lines though,,, and through the years, it's definitely proven that.
My patio, 45x15?, was stamped with a cobblestone pattern. This makes it much harder to properly seal in trying to get the sealant into each crevice when using a roller (the cobblestone stamp was heavily detailed, strongly showing the lines between each stone)...I do use the proper roller (the fluffiest one) but it's still a bear to do and takes me quite a bit of sealant to apply properly....and yeah, I learned after the first year...don't do it in the hot sun...

I must say, I find it amazing that one bucket has lasted you 4 years...that's awesome. When I do both the driveway and the patio, I use well over 10 gallons, probably closer to 15 to be honest....??? That's almost 3 buckets a year! When you do the math, it's expensive...makes me think I'm applying too much, when I still feel that I'm not applying enough ...

**I also had a bad batch one year...a few days after the sealant had dried, most of it started flaking and peeled away. I went back to the store and they insisted I added a thinner to it to create more

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote