Thread: Man down....
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #43
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

7/16 update

So tomorrow will be eight weeks since the replacement surgery. I am improved since last post here, no doubt.

I am checking off all the boxes with rehab/PT 3x a week plus aqua therapy in my neighbor's pool 4x this past week. I have gotten to 115 degree range of motion. But muscle mass has atrophied, a lot. Very slow getting strength back. So here is what the surgeon told me two weeks ago at six week appointment. (It has taken me two weeks to wrap my head around this...) The replacement surgery took one hour. He was in there for two hours.... first hour to clean up the mess from all my previous surgeries, assuming scar tissue. Said he was not the first guy invited to the party.... So an extra hour of anesthesia. A lot more soft tissue damage to heal. He "set a bomb off in your knee." Normally tells patients the one hour surgery requires one year for 100 percent recovery. Did not say I would need any more, and would probably be less, BUT, here it comes... It will be 4 months from the surgery before I am starting to feel good enough to say I am happy I had it done... And walking confidently without a cane.

So another eight weeks/two months to go... Sleep sucks, as I am up four times a night from minor discomfort in the joint or muscles and have to go pee from anti inflammatory. Aqua therapy is great, but wipes me out. I was able to get the trash out to the curb today... I can drive. And am still off the cigarettes, which is awesome! Pretty much off the oxys, except when I know we have a big push scheduled at PT, but none in a over a week. It's my reality. Just accepting it... And should be doing a better job of that!
So fall run, albies, and other peoples boats in September!
As Clammer says: appreciate what you have!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote