Thread: Woa
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
With the lack of factory jobs, flipping burgers has become a career. Yes, unfortunately I think certain people are not capable of working their way up the ladder. You and I have both dealt with them. The bill is $5.77, you give them a $10 and then they enter the $10 into the computer system and see you get back $4.23 and then you give them $1.02 so can get $5.25 back and they have no idea what to do.

They are never going to have what you and I may consider to be a great life but they deserve to have an ok life. I don't think a McDonald's worker deserves $15/hour but a min. wage that was indexed to inflation (I think it would be $10.xx now) might be sufficient.
"they deserve to have an ok life"

Well said and true. Not everyone can have a big house. But we all deserve a place to live that is clean, comfortable, and safe. Sadly, we have a long, long ways to go, on that we can agree.

Most people - not everyone, but most - can do better than flipping burgers. Here in CT, we have state universities that will admit you if you have a "C" average in high school, and you can get a degree in nursing - bingo - set for life. And that's attainable for the vast majority of Americans - not everybody, but the vast majority.