View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And you found someone’s opinion

I found three articles (one of which I posted) which gave the fuller transcripts of the interview and/or a link to a recording of the full interview. Every time "Liberals" quote that passage from the interview that you posted, they leave out the significant sentence that follows it. Why is that? Why do they consistently do that?

I also listened to the interview. Atwater's contention throughout the interview was that race had no longer become an important issue in Southern politics, and that what had happened was that what had evolved as the winning issues in the South were economics and national defense. That was the strategy he used for the Reagan campaign. What begins your edited quote "you start out in 1954 by saying nigger, nigger, nigger" was not a Republican campaign strategy. Atwater said it was how campaigning was done in the South in 1954, especially by Democrats. And from that very specific, concrete, approach, strategies got more "abstract," less specifically racial, until his Reagan campaign removed the racial element, coded or otherwise, and focused on economics and national defense.

He also predicted correctly that this strategy would make the Republican Party competitive in the South (before which Republicans were basically non-existent).

There are opposite opinions also, so citing a right wing opinion doesn’t make it true
What do you mean by "opinion"? I listened to the interview. I read fuller portions of the transcript. I noted that the very tiny portion of the interview that you quoted not only left out the next sentence, but a whole lot else as well. Including Atwater's "opinion" about what he was actually saying. I'm guessing he would know that better than left wing "opinions" would.

So citing a left wing opinion doesn't make it true. On the contrary, from what I see, the left wing opinion uses the time-honored technique of lying by omission.