View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
If it's law you shouldn't have any problem showing a reference.

Perhaps your local pharmacy doesn't want to give you the wrong drugs and kill you?

Is it your civil responsibility to buy cigarettes and alcohol?

I don't know as I haven't seen the full transcript. Hence, my reluctance to judge.

No, Obama is saying that the effort to ensure voter integrity is both unnecessary and disproportionally impacts minorities and the poor. Certainly there's politics behind it, the GOP is trying to hurt voters that historically support their opponents and the Democrats are working to counter it.

But ultimately...are there people who legitimately don't hold an official government ID, are they breaking any laws in doing so, and do they have a right to vote?

-spence
"I don't know as I haven't seen the full transcript. Hence, my reluctance to judge."

Your reluctance to judge comes from the fact that you are head-over-heals in love with the guy.

"are there people who legitimately don't hold an official government ID, are they breaking any laws in doing so, and do they have a right to vote?"

Can't cash a check without an id, can't get a library card...why not? If those without an id aren't breaking the law, why can't they do those things?

The answer, which is obvious to anyone over the age of 5 (unless they are blinded by ideology) is that sometimes it is prudent to make sure you know who you are dealing with. Ensuring voter integrity is necessarily a good thing. Why are you opposed to it? I agree fraud isn't a huge problem, by why not make it less of a problem? What is the harm? Are there large numbers of people out there, for whom getting an id is difficult?

And why does Obama give the time of day to a horse's ass like Sharpton? Why is Obama at his beck and call? There's the politics. Obama knows full well that no one has ever suggested using passports, but he knows that demonizing conservatives plays well to Sharpton's sheep. So Obama says things that he knows are untrue, to pander to that audience. Cowardly, and beneath the dignity of the office, and not something Bush was in the habit of doing.