View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #104
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Jim - why are so few people willing to recognize this?
Not sure what you mean? Are you giving me a subtle hint that if so many people disagree, I must be wrong? Or are you sincerely wondering why so many people disagree?

If it's the former, I hope you know I have zero issue with you disagreeing with me. None whatsoever. But I think the most basic principles of supply and demand suggest I am correct.

If it's the latter, I think people either (1) are liberal ideologues and cannot admit anything that doesn't support liberalism, even if it's obvious truth. Spence is in this category. Or (2) people can't stomach saying it out loud, because it is a harsh reality, which means that we must put strict limits on the number of poor people we let come here. For many people, it's not an easy thing to say 'no' to someone that might desperately want to come here, it might be their only shot at having a comfortable life? It's not easy to slam the door in people's faces. But life ain't always easy. I don't like that more than anybody, I want everybody to be rich and comfortable.

Rand Paul hates Donald Trump. But he was on with Chuck Todd this weekend, explaining how much money Trump gave (before he entered politics) to support humanitarian missions to Haiti, medical mercy missions that Rand Paul, a doctor, was aware of. Trump was a major, major donor to these missions. If all he cared about was his net worth, and if he doesn't like Haitians, why would he do this? Answer...he wouldn't.

I do not think Trump is a super nice guy. I wouldn't want him dating my Mom. He says things that are hard to believe a grown man could say, probably because he's not a grown man in many ways, he's a big spoiled bratty baby in many ways. But he's not Hitler or Darth Vader or Mr Burns from 'The Simpsons' either. There are many stories of his generosity out there (as there should be with any billionaire). All of that gets lost because (1) he has a penchant for saying the most crass things you can imagine, which naturally grab our attention, and (2) 99% of the media is on a mission to demonize him.

He will never, ever get a fair shake in the media. And by 'fair', I don't mean zero negative coverage. I mean negative coverage when he deserves it (not a rare thing), and positive coverage when he deserves it (also not a rare thing, especially if you think a healthy economy is good for Americans). He will never, ever get that, the left and the media are not capable of it. They literally are not capable of it. They could not be fair to Bush, or McCain, or Romney. And their hatred of those men was nothing compared to Trump, because those men were courteous to the media. Trump throws cheap shots right back at them, and is calling them out for exactly what they are. It never occurred to them that they might be held accountable for their yellow journalism, and they don't like it one bit.