View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
I wasn't around when the Bishop shooting happened, but in fairness to Delahunt, it sounds like the police botched that investigation from the outset.

There isn't a lot that a DA can do to salvage a botched investigation, as they have to turn over every piece of paper prepared by every cop involved to the defense. Sometimes, they have to make a determination whether there is any hope of getting a conviction before they spend the resources on a prosecution where reasonable doubt exists from the get-go.

The only witness to the shooting was the mother of the two, and she was going with "accident", from what I've read.

Every politician who has ever been a DA has a Bishop-like skeleton somewhere in their past.
The real blame falls on the former Braintree police chief who, at the time covered it up. But since perception is reality, Delahunt will be dogged by the Bishop case if he decides to run again. People will still blame him for the mishandling of the case and it will impact how they vote.

I doubt he'll run again anyways. He has plenty of connections in the public and private sector and will land a cushy job with a big paycheck.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio