View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #37
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
Living like your poor now for more money tomorrow, or being extra frugal so you can enjoy retirement just isnt my wheelhouse. Were put on this earth for a short period of time. When i look back it will be the moments I was snowboarding in vail, fishing in tortola, and getting hammered in italy that will make me smile. Not me sitting on my deck drooling on myself in Florida. Waiting to give all my money to my kids. Save some, spend some!
But if you don't plan for your "non-working" years, all you will have is your memories...until they go as well!

I don't live a miserly life but I budget myself with the funds that are left AFTER putting funds into my retirement account.

I tell my family that if I don't need it, I don't buy it!
If I want it, I save up for it with before mentioned "after savings" funds.

I grew up in a large family, so I learned how to "do without" from an early age. Iwince whenever I see parents doling out money for the "fad of the day" for their kids, only to hear them complain that they can't afford to fix the house, the car, their teeth or take care of any other problem that should have been a priority from the get-go.
Too many parents want to buy their kids affection, and end up sending themselves on a path to the poorhouse in the process.

Remember when every kid NEEDED to have a pair of Reeboks, or some clothing article they grew out of on the way home? Now it's the newest electronic gizmos that are obsolete the day they come out!

How many times do you have to "upgrade" any of your devices simply because the company fixed another ONE of their bugs?

I say keep it simple, spend less, save more and you too should be able to ENJOY your retirement years and not have to work through them just to survive!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote