View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #173
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You talked about birth rates before, but you change to pregnancy rates here. In either case, how does a drop in abortion rates decrease either birth or pregnancy rates? I can see how that isn't clear. It isn't that the drop in abortion causes the the decrease in birth rates. If the birth rate dropped and abortion rates dropped, then pregnancy rates had to drop, which is the case. Fewer black and hispanic teens get pregnant each year now than 25 years ago. Also, ~5% fewer have sex before the age of 18 than in the 1990's

And what do either birth or abortion rates have to do with pregnancy rates if "Pregnancy rate is the success rate for getting pregnant. It is the percentage of all attempts that leads to pregnancy, with attempts generally referring to menstrual cycles where insemination or any artificial equivalent is used, which may be simple artificial insemination (AI) or AI with additional in vitro fertilization."?
You are right that if you go to wikipedia, you get the definition of pregnancy rate that you quoted. However, the literature related to pregnancy and birthrates also use the term pregnancy rate differently: the number of women out of 1000 who become pregnant.
i.e.
Kost K and Maddow-Zimet I, U.S. Teenage Pregnancies, Births and Abortions, 2011: National Trends by Age, Race and Ethnicity, New York: Guttmacher Institute, 2016, https://www.guttmacher.org/report/us...cy-trends-2011.
Me: By the way, birth rates among black and hispanic teens today are about 25% what they were in 1990 after 12 years of Republican leadership.

You: Abortion

You are wrong about why teen birth rates among blacks and hispanics are 25% of what they were in 1990.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.