View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #883
FishermanTim

Salty, I'd say "toss them some birdseed if you have any handy", but this time of year the males are in the "collecting hens" mode which makes them VERY aggressive towards other jakes/toms and any unfortunate person that tries to get too close.

They have spurs for a reason, and they know very well how to use them!

Now if this were spring, I would be more apt to feed them for a photo op. Actually, I have in the past. We have a family of turkeys that visit our cul-de-sac frequently during the year. Some of the adults were chicks from prior years that know our area as a "potential" feeding stop.
(I don't feed them all the time, so that they won't become to comfortable around people.)

I was able to get within 4-5 feet from the mother while the chicks hid behind her. When I withdrew they would come out and feed.
The funniest part was that the mother knew what I was doing from 50 feet away when I tossed sunflower seed on the lawn and she and the chicks made a b-line for them at full sprint.

But of course this was spring/summer and not during the fall.
You NEVER get involved with any animal when they are in the rut. It never end well. (unless you are legally hunting them, then all bets are off!)

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote