View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
No.
I meant it would be good if there was more opportunity for the 2/3 of our society with less than a bachelors degree and that higher education wasn't necessary for as many jobs as it is.

I absolutely agree with you that bachelors degrees are not necessary for many of the jobs that now require it or use it as a screening method to pare down the number of applicants. On the other hand, eliminating the B.A. as a requirement would not raise the number of employees, just redistribute who would get the jobs. My guess as to why there is an excess of college grads competing for the same jobs as other grads or non-grads is the promotion of the importance of education. The whole education industry has grown beyond its necessary contribution to the job market so that now there is an overflow of grads, especially with degrees that are superfluous to employers. The growing "investment" in education has become a bit of a Frankenstein--thousands of the college educated who were promised advantages but now can't find a job.

Like in China, that quasi-communist, economic super-power, for example.

2/3 of Chinese society does not yet have access to the new "capitalist" portion of its economy. Those who do have been allowed entrance into free-market venture capitalism. As this becomes more and more regulated the "super" part of their power may dwindle.

Where one can get an apprenticeship to work a job an American would need a bachelors in computer science and $80,000 of debt to qualify for.
If the degree is truly necessary for a job the competition for it would command a high price. If the degree is just fluff to line the pockets of educators and provide a screening method for empoyers it is a rip-off.