View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
It is a penalty for not enrolling.

I thought Repubs. where about personal responsibility - I guess not when it comes to abortion.
One could argue that forcing someone to purchase something, goes against core conservative principles. But we force drivers to buy insurance, because we all have a vested interest in making sure that those we share the road with, have adequate insurance.

I think a similar case can be made with health insurance. I don't think anyone - ANYONE - should suffer long-term financial hardship because of health issues they have no control over (issues from obesity or smoking are a whole other matter, that's the result of choice, for the most part). To me, it seems very fair to spread the cost of un-preventable, lifelong catastrophic health issues, among all of us.

"I thought Repubs. where about personal responsibility - I guess not when it comes to abortion"

Can't imagine what you mean by that. Being opposed to abortion is perfectly consistent with the notion of holding people accountable for their actions - if you are healthy and chose to engage in consensual sex, you can deal with the consequences of that choice.