View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #35
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I have a question, is it restoration of a classic or is it representation of a classic? They mean completely different things.

Thanks for all the comments, next year will will try to improve as we try to every year. Maybe I will have more time to set aside to plan this event better, it's not like John,Mike and I get a lot of help planning it. I was very busy with work and that comes first especially in this economy. Hopefully I can find us a large hall where we can possibly assign areas for yearly participants, and have a huge table for the contest and a different one for the raffle. And I'll make up signs also. The voting might be different next year and the ballots will be different. I like it simple, that way there is more chance of it still being fun. There will be nametags and everyone will have one. I will be the first one there and I will man the door if I have to, others will have to do other jobs or it can't work.No commercial selling of plugs, trades only as always.

This year while we were planning, I wanted to go back and re-read threads like this one to get an idea how to improve things, there is only so much time in a day. I make boxes, I am not an event planner, keeping it informal works well for a bunch of whacko fishermen in my opinion.
I'll do what I can next time around.
Having said that, plugfest 2009 was better than mudfest or no fest, atleast we had it,even though it was dissappointing to not have Joe(rockfish9) there
We should make it a 2 day event next time

Steve, we can work on details to make that part of the contest run smoother, but the attendees are the ones who vote. Next year the guidelines will be better thought out.

Spring is almost here

Absolutely correct

Every year it comes up as , not a problem, but a very looooosely defined event (as it should be). Couple dings:

1st - Rough dates get figured out but some people can't make it (always happens) no matter how much we want them there. Its too late in the season, its too early, yada yada. We can't make it perfect for everyone.

2nd - Couple locations get proposed - some people ask why can't it be closer to them "its not fayah to the Noth Showah guize" (joking ) or its too far from the Cape (ie, over the bridge )

3rd - We try to keep costs tight (we can't afford to lose money for sure). Sure it would be nice to have 10,000 square feet and a stocked kitchen, tables, chairs, etc - but we would quickly price ourselves out of what is reasonable. Or, pray I hit Powerball (reminds me - gotta play). Besides, larger venue would probably mean more for the same people to clean up.

4th - Same people volunteer to help, setup, and it is the same people year after year cleaning up afterward. This year was almost carbon copy of last year in who helped clean up afterward.

This isn't criticism - this is what happens. Plugfest is an amazing thing and has been since day one in Slips garage.

Maybe it is time for a Plugfest Organizing TEAM, working out the details over the course of a year so that when November rolls around, there are no big questions remaining and people already set to help out. Just a thought, but it would be nice to have ballots, categories, date, location, etc - figured out a little before winter rolled around.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote