View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #49
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I guess I needed to spell it out with larger letters, respect from the free world, from our allies, from his peers; I'm pretty sure it's a long list of people who might have been on the fence about Trump who just lost all respect for the leader of the free world.
No, you didn't need to use large letters. I disagree with you. I don't think that "the free world" (as I envision what you mean by that phrase) respects America as a country, as a people, as a philosophy of how to live or how to govern. They have some respect for our power, especially insofar as that power is wielded to protect them. Otherwise, the Progressive elites (the ones that our Progressive Press hold as the true representatives of that outer "free world") hold us in various degrees of contempt. And they, as well as our own American elites, have no respect for Trump to lose.

Toadying up to those elites does not garner us respect from them, it just makes them more comfortable with, and more tolerant of, us. And oh, BTW, less nervous that our protection of them might waver.

In some ways, certainly economically, Trump is right that West Europeans are foes to us. We Americans are foes to each other, politically, economically, morally, philosophically. And I don't want our President to be "the leader of the free world." I don't even want our President to be the leader of the American People. I want us to be the leaders of our own lives.

So, I don't care about the notion that other countries or societies lose "respect" for us. Especially if we have to kiss their azz to get it.