View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #20
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
People seem to be missing the obvious, that the city is where a lot of the money is, the jobs are and this caused a lot of population density that persists today.

A lot of people living in close confines requires different rules than in the country. A city is an inherently dense system, where in the country it's much easier to live by your own rules. An example of this might be restrictive handgun laws, which to a moderate might make more sense in a city than in the country.

The needs of the city aligns better with some pure liberal values (that our strength comes from the village, which is nearly intrinsic) than perhaps pure conservative values (that our strength comes from the individual).

Certainly if everybody shared the same high ethical convictions, this may not be the case. But in the real world, biasing towards the rights of the individual could easily prove disastrous in the city. Granted, there are some who advocate if everybody had a gun, there would be no crime, but I think this view is wacky.

None of this is meant as an excuse for bad behavior, but rather how things may have come to be. I'd also note that both parties have a habit for hypocrisy and a base attracted often to less universal qualities.

-spence
I cannot stop laughing...
you asked for it Bo is it clearer now? do you get the "obvious"?

the city is where a lot of money is $$$$....

a city is inherently dense....

in the country it's much easier to live....
our strenght comes from the village....
ther rights of the individual could prove disasterous....
I think this view is whacky....
less universal "qualities"???

you can always tell when Spence isn't transposing talking points...he doesn't sound quite as ahhhhhhh....knowledgable? like Obama without the teleprompter...

too freakin' funny......