Thread: FACTS
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #22
EarnedStripes44

Well I am glad you are on the winning end of globalization as am I, despite our debt. However, we are getting away from my original argument about English being the official language. Need I point out, it was you who stated "Yeah but you (meaning immigrants, I presume) wouldn't be aware of them [bigger issues] unless you can understand English". With respect to my descriptions of Paris and other travels I have embarked upon I need not bicker with you, arguing against your foggy memory is an exercise in futility. You mentioned you used to work for a multi-national corporation, how long ago was that? What airport in France did you fly into, was it Orly, because Charles De Gaulle may not have built by then. Enlighten me with your 22 years of travel expertise, because your closed fisted outlook seems to have left little room to absorb alternate points of view (things a well travelled person surely would have picked up). I am not asking to believe what I believe, but you don't respect the logic behind what I am saying. I am not trying to be to personal but are you bilingual (no insinuation necessary)?

Anyway, back to the guilt. I prefer gratitude, because although we exercise a fair degree of choice, I am very fortunate to be the in the position that I am in. On the otherhand, I do acknowledge that their are winners and there are losers in this world. The pickings are slim for those just now entering the game with nothing, expecting to win. Our standard of living is on its way down look at inflation versus disposable income trends. Why make it harder? What do you have to lose if some immigrant family prefers to speak spanish in their Chelsea tenement home, or if adequate spanish or chinese profiency is a mandatory requirement for a high school degree? Its far easier and takes less energy being tolerant as opposed to intolerant, but I am sure you know that, being from Plymouth and all, a community that is 95% white.....which brings me to my next point.

Now we are going to get a little off topic for the moment. So as we know the supreme court voted in favor of allowing kids to go to neighborhood schools over racial diversity quotas. Well let's look at urban settlement patterns. You can't miss an urban black neighborhood unless you were blind. There are very few places in the United States, where you will find blacks and whites living together in a localized neighborhood, very few!!! Terms like the other side of tracks arose from those settlement patterns. The concept of the inner-city ghetto supports that. The schools in the inner city urban black ghetto (although not necessarily racially motivated, more out of negligence....just my opinion) are just not as good as those in white communities even when they are in the same municipality. So how can we say things are fair, equal and balanced with a straight face, when black youth are confined to these "neighborhood schools" and white youth get to go to there "neighborhood schools" because diversity is no longer a requirement. I think diverse schools throughout the same school district are the best way to ensure equal distribution of resources, not to mention the benefits of pluralism. I dont think whites should carry blacks, and I am sick of the victimhood that the media consumes like pigs at a trough on the behalf of certain swindling agitators in pursuit of political glory, but I think if things are equitable, blacks will help themselves. The achievement gap is narrowing and there are more southern blacks in college now than there ever where before. Let us not reverse the clock.