View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #35
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Who is bankrupting the state of Connecticut?

A) Republicans
B) Democrats
C) Islamists

Who throws more politically motivated riots? Show me a Democratic riot, Trump acknowledges republican mobs are rioting in california in protest of sanctuary cities
Who throws more bricks through windows when they don't get what they want? Better bricks than bombs, but the left has no monopoly on brick throwing
Who forces more college speakers to hide behind security?
"Knock the crap out of them, would you? I promise you, I will pay your legal fees."
Who never, ever stops claiming that everyone else is racist?
The civility police might point out that many conservatives hated Obama just as much, but that only demonstrates the limits of content-neutral analysis. The right’s revulsion against a black president targeted by birther conspiracy theories is not the same as the left’s revulsion against a racist president who spread birther conspiracy theories.

I'm not talking about the terrorists on either side, I am talking about the mainstream people on either side.

The other problem with your argument for civility, when it’s taken as far as prohibiting moral condemnation of politicians, is that it empowers defenders of the status quo while neutering critics.
There are two basic forms of political argument. Either you defend a specific policy as the rational, logical option in the circumstances that exist, or you question the rules of the game. People on the political right are prone to presenting things such as spending cuts as morally neutral decisions, determined by economic reality. Leftwing criticism commonly argues that logic presented as natural is really no such thing, but rather that it’s a question of priorities. Political priorities are, unavoidably, a moral issue.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin