Thread: The Dead Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #51
wader-dad

Jimmy you say:

"Which band bombed Woodstock so bad they didnt even make the film? Enough said"

Jimmy not enough said on Woodstock as it is well known that when the Dead played Woodstock, their guitars were sending electric shocks into Weir and Garcia so bad they could hardly touch their instruments, their sound system went out for long periods and yes because of equipment issues their performance was a disaster.

Look obviously the Dead could not sing too well and technically I suppose Garcia was not a gymnast with a guitar like your Dutch friend above, but did Dylan play great guitar? did he have a good voice?

To me the golden years were from 1970 to 78 before they took their break and before Garcia's diabetic coma. In those years -There was a feeling you get from the music- The building riffs in Morning Dew, the uplifting feeling in Wharf Rat where you felt like you could get up and fly away.

Much of the Dead music is recorded at live concerts through little cassette decks and that makes the music and vocals sound lousy. Hardly any real studio albums. You listen toEurope 72 when there was some fixing up of the vocals and music and it was very good- comparable to CCR in my opinion.

But the most important thing I can say is that if I listen to the Dead on the way to a spot- I catch more fish and when I do catch a big fish if I sing Browned Eyed Women to myself the fish does not get off. "Drink down a bottle and your ready to Kill"
wader-dad is offline   Reply With Quote