View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Geo I have noticed you asked a question of the difference of the Musso/Pichney/BM darters..What have you found..??
.................A swivelized version of Stan Gibbs 3 hook job would be neat..
I've only fished the BM's over the years, and primarily at one outflow. They've worked well for me....better than the plastic Super Strikes. The real BM's are hard maple and weigh about 3.5oz, the Pichney and Lupo's are the same shape but in a lighter wood and weigh about 3oz. I built these out of soft maple, will probably do another run out of hard maple at some point.
The Musso is a shorter plug, but also (I presume) hard maple and weighs 3oz. More weight in a smaller package should mean it casts further. Flap claims the Musso's are the best swimming darter he's ever fished, but I've never tried one and these obviously have yet to see water.
Got the Gibbs out and measured as well. What most people don't know is that the three hook darters went through several modifications. The earliest had the the weight behind the second hook and the hooks more forward, the next model swapped the middle hook and weight position, the most recent were slimmer than the originals. Planning a run of those too, but which model and when I'm unsure.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote