View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

let's see grew up in Lynn, shot darts for 11 years and spent 7 years in the Navy....where do I begin.

In Lynn there was a place called the Crystal Grill in Central Square that had a kitchen counter for a bar and would serve anyone.

There was the 'Lit" club (lithuanian) 85 cent beers and they would serve anyone.

There was Conti's across from the Merit Station in downtown, owner was a neighbor and used to serve us til probably 4 in the morning.....cops used to come in afterhours to drink.

There was my old Dart Hangout the Venice on the train tracks in West Lynn....you literally had to be legally pronounced Dead before they stopped serving you.

Hogans II on Franklin street across from another fine establishment..... Bennies. A good friend of mine tended bar there and that was a great last call because he would definitely pour some heavy handed drinks.

Honorable mention...."The Buke" (Buchanan), Tony's, Frank's, and The Office (right Across from the Police Station).

if you ever want a challenge try to do the "107" run...have a pop at every bar on rt. 107 from Salem to Saugus.....probably 20 bars easily...and all dives.

When my ship was up in Portland we used to hang at a place called "Ralph's" they used to let you buy a keg from them and keep it on 1 of their taps....some epic nights there.

Puerto Rico there was Papa Joe's, 4 pool tables and a strip stage that was about the size of a kitchen table. There was another place in San Juan that I can't remember the name of.......I remember 1 one of our gunner's mates got shot there one time while we were there.

South Carolina was The bar at the Best Western....used to get the barmaid to shoot pool with uis and while she was shooting we would refill our pitchers at the tap......i often wondered if she thought we were light weights because we'd be wrecked after 2 pitchers of beer

and how could I forget "Jakes" in Newburyport.....they actually had a mural on the wall of various disney characters in different sexual situations....I don't even want to try and explain what Snow White was doing. The Bartender would always pour "One for you and One for Me". We went there one night to shoot a match and one of the regulars there got killed in front of the place while we were going in. We asked them if they wanted to reschedule and they said "Nah, let's just play"

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote