Thread: Vega Set-up
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #18
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo7 View Post
Thanks for the tips I'll make the changes tomorrow. I made a nike template out of plexiglass tonight from one that I got from Paul . What are you guys using to turn from a master or a template? I've tried both and both seemed to work good but wasn't sure if one was better than the other?
I always turn my master by hand ( thus the 3/4" collars on the shaft for quick removal).. when it's exactly as I want it... I then insert a hard wood tracer into the cutting arm and put a pencil into the stylis( you will have to turn the pencil down to have it fit)... I glue paper to the lexan and insert it into the dupe... I then put a little tension on the pencil and with light presure on the plug, follow it with the dummy cutter... mark all holes and weights at this time... remove the lexan template and cut it on a scroll saw or band saw... sand any rough edges.. even the tiniest iregularity will show on the plug.. write any pertinant info on the paper.. save the master for set up if you like...personaly, I keep a half dozen of the common diameters for set up, and just store the flat plexi under the lathe bench... turned masters take up alot of space..so I usualy use them for experimentation..unless they are unique in some way..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote