View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokinwet View Post
Spoken like a "jazz" musician. I think that most casual music listeners do not like improvisational jazz because it usually lacks a "hook" and they don't comprehend the interplay between musicians. My wife calls it crazy music!
I think I can convince someone to like jazz in 15 minutes or at least help them understand it. Thats why I like modern/traditional jazz and not avant garde, fusion etc. Nothing Wes is playing is outside "normal" listening. Same goes for Pass, Parker, and countless others. I think people try and may have heard of Miles or Coletrane and then hear some of their later "outside" music and get turned off. You need to understand the structure of a song, if you can listen to Sinatra, Ella etc, I think you can appreciate jazz. It is a "thinking mans" music and I dont mean its better than other music, its just that to play it requires constant listening and concentration. I could never fathom how guys like Parker and many, many others can play through lightening chord changes while doped up in heroin. Its not like Hendrix playing over simple changes. Dont get me started on jazz, Im way more opinionated then politics !

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote