View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Spence -

"The Wiki presents two sides to the argument, you pick one and then claim it's fact?"

It DOES NOT claim that the rich DIDN'T pay more taxes after the Bush tax cuts. My point was that the wealthy are paying a higher share of the tax burden than ever before. That's irrefutable fact. It may not serve your particular personal agenda, but it's still fact.

"to claim this is a result of the Bush tax cuts while ignoring other economic factors seems like really, really heavy spin to me."

Spence, I never, ever claimed that the Bush cuts CAUSED the wealthy to pay more. AllI said was that after the tax cuts were put in place, they paid more. I can't prove that the cuts caused them to pay more, nor can you prove that the cuts didn't cause them to pay more. But it's fair to say that the tax cuts were not designed to allow the rich to pay less taxes...if that was the intent of the Bush tax cuts, it failed miserably.

Spence, please try to respond to what I'm actually saying. Please don't put extremist jibberish in my mouth.

Spence, we can't have 50% of our citizens paying no income tax. I'm sure that many of those folks have multiple flat screen TVs, laptops, multiple cars, cell phones, etc...They can afford to pay SOME income taxes.