View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
ecduzitgood
time to go

It's new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
So you've never taken your PA out in the ocean? I think you will be totally fine. I would invest in a VHF if I were you, don't worry about an ebirb and all that for now, but if saftey is really a concern, a VHF and compass is a smart idea. You can also get a waterproof case for your cell phone for very short money (like under $20).

Most are really smart about watching conditions and almost always go out in protected areas. If you get out there and are not comfortable, just turn around and go back in!

You are much less likley to fall out of a PA, but if you are really concerned, you could do what most of us do and wear dry gear. I use kokatat dry pants paired with a semi-try top. However, I don't wear that stuff now that water temps are higher.
I have only taken it to a local pond once and one of the turbo fins almost came completely off (I have a spare set I'll keep with me). I have no idea why it happened so it does give me concern. I guess it's all the years I spent boating that makes me want to ensure I am doing all I can to stay safe and if I need to be rescued make it easier for the people who are looking for me. I probably am getting a little overboard has far as being prepared but I realize how quick it can go bad and how bad it can get, and I have only myself to rely upon without the comfort of 3 or more feet of freeboard.

Has anyone ever tried to right a pro angler while in the water? I have righted sit in kayaks easily, the PA seems like it might be a challenge.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote