View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Spring Surf Club Challenge Results

I just received the results of the annual Spring Surf Fishing Club Challenge, and they are pasted below with angler names removed. 7 clubs entered, presumably 5 to 10 anglers fishing per club along all of the beaches of RI, and not a single striper over 36 inches (minimum length for entry) was caught/entered. Several years ago I was involved in a suggestion for the fall version of this tournament to remove striped bass as a kill species for entry (but not to prevent anglers from harvesting a fish they were to enter) and I was demonized for "seeking to ruin the tournament" by several people involved. I was told that there is nothing wrong with the striped bass population, and so on. Sure this spring has been off for a number of reasons, but if somewhere in the range of 35 to 50 anglers fishing the RI surf for 2 days and nights can't land a 36" fish or better, then I find it hard to believe that everything is fine.

Quote:
We had seven teams participate:
RIMS, Narragansett Surfcasters, Hartford Surfcasters, Newport Surfcasters, Weekapaug Surfcasters, Pioneer Valley Boat and Surf Fishing Club, RISSA Surfcasters

The raffle raised $130 plus entry fees, $655 will be donated to Johnny Cake Center.

No bass were entered.

RIMS 1st Place
Bluefish 5.44, 5.02, 3.41=13.87lbs.

Biggest Bluefish 5.44lbs $100 Narrow River Rods
5.02, 3.41, 2.48, 2.27, 1.99, 2.16

RISAA 2nd Place
Bluefish 1.82, 1.76, 1.70=5.28

I thank you all for participating. Anytime you can have fun fishing and raise money for a charity, doesn't get any better than that.
Have a good summer and fish hard and be SAFE!

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote