View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
Saltheart

I do like just cold water and drink a lot of it. I just want something different now and then.

I like sparkling water and do buy the Schweppes and Polar. The little bit of flavor does make it a welcome change from plain water but in fact , its just burpy water.

The Camelback info is a classic example of what you run into when you try to avoid sugar. Instead of sugar you get salt. 410 Mg of sodium in one serving is a lot since it takes at least 16 OZ to quench my thirst when I'm really thirsty. Then add in the potassium and calcium and magnesium salts and essentially you have traded a sugary taste for a saly taste. As far as I know only the excessive amount of sodium is a problem for most since many do seek potassium and magnesium additions to their diets. Interestingly , when I make beer , I add sodium , potassium , magnesium and calcium salts to the water. These salt additions are not for the final drinker of the beer. They are nutrients for the yeast that do the fermenting.

Carrot juice sounds promising. I'll give it a try. Jenn has a lot of good suggestions with the spice/ herbal stuff.

In China , they all sit around drinking tea or just plain hot water at night. I'm sure there must be some spice/herb mixtures they throw into the hot water too , besides tea.

Tea would be perfect but it has caffeine. I really like the diet Snapple as a no sugar thing but the caffeine is definitely there.

Believe it or not , "no nothing Coke" (gold can) is not bad. No sugar , no alc , no caffeine but of course we have no idea what the sugar substitute may be doing to us over the long run.

I think I'll have to try some of the veggie juices with low sodium and also try to brew up some herbal/spice concoctions. It amazes me that with literally hundreds of drinks on the market , almost all are based on sugar , caffeine or alc.

Last edited by Saltheart; 09-18-2013 at 02:05 PM..

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote