View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Jim in CT

What I call the "Sovereign Debt Crisis" is coming

Finally, someone in Washington is stating the obvious...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...tm_medium=RSS#!

Our federal debt, when you include unfunded liabilities for SS and Medicare, is more than 100k for every single living American. Throw state debt on top of that (27k per human being in CT).

How does this not end in a depression? I am asking that as a sincere question. we have never faced this before, not anything like it.

The actuaries have been saying for 40 years that this was coming, and all we did was elect career politicians who kicked the can down the road. On top of that, the baby boomers (as a group) made it very clear they weren't interested in paying for the benefits they were promised).

Every once in a while, we get a brave politician honest enough to highlight this. Like Paul Ryan. The recation of the liberals, is usually to make commercials of said honest politician, pushing an old lady off a cliff. That's precisely what they did to Ryan. Which discourages future politicians from tackling this problem.

If we dealt with this 40 years ago, the fix would not have been too extreme. Now, we're screwed. I think.