View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Exactly. It's a measure to selectively tax a group deemed to be putting their health at risk. In that case, they should tax anyone who bungee jumps, eats fast food, rides a dirtbike, etc...

Why not a tax on people who ride the bus? Those fumes can cause health problems.
They tax cigarettes, tanning booths and soon fast food and sugary drinks. All items that increase the risk of disease.

As I've said many times before, if you receive any assistance to have health care, then a history of high-risk behavior exempts the insurance provider from liability for the diseases caused by those behaviors.

Quite honestly, I don't care if people want to eat themselves dead, shoot up heroin, smoke like a chimney or drink their liver to oblivion. On the other hand, I also don't want to pay for those people's bad decisions.

You get in a car accident and have a BAC of .14? You pay the bill for being an idiot.

People make decisions without regard for the consequences because often times they are minimally liable to pay for them anyway.