View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Saltheart

many advanced homebrewers use the 5 gallon soda cans to keg beer. They are called "cornelius kegs". I use to have 3 or 4 different styles in the Conelius egs all hooked up in a row to the CO2 bottle through a manifold. You can also use the kegs and CO2 bottle to force carbonate the beer. thus , after the fermentation , you don't need to add priming sugar and wait a week or so. just attach a CO2 bottle and shake the beer in the keg and in just a short time you will have a carbonated product. many a time I force carbonated then put it in bottles for beer contests. lots of time that forced carbonation saved my butt when I was running late for a contest and there was no time left for natural carbonating the beer.

Big issue with using soda kegs is you need to rense and clean them a lot to get out any traces of soda. You will lose 5 gallons of beer instantly if there is any soda taste or smell left in the keg. I had special fitting hooked up to the soda keg quick disconnects and I would flush them with hot water , open and scrob , flush again , add bleach water , flush again and a final rinse with water plus iodophor before kegging. Once you get the kegs cleaned for beer the first time , reuseing them for subsequent batches was much easier. I once lost 5 gallons to a sick lemon or lime taste that somehow survived the wash and flush routine. just the slightest hint of that sugary lime taste makes the beer very undersireable.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote