View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #40
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Now I believe that Clinton can and should have done more against Bin Laden, but the rate at which Bush simply ignored the issue...and then used 9/11 as an excuse to do a complete 180 has given this Country a terrible case of whiplash we're going to be recovering from for at least another decade if not longer.
-spence
Both Clinton and Bush, were just following the standard game plan of cat and mouse, that we've been playing with them since Carter. Even with intel that they have a plan and want to initiate it, it is difficult to initiate a preemptive strike against a uninitiated plan. Lots of people have plans, or would like to cause us harm, but most of those never get past the planning stages. If you take action against a foreign country, even with proof of intent, is is virtually impossible to get the support of the rest of the world, and without our allies support, most in congress will not support such action. I'll give Clinton the benefit of dought on this, and say that, I am sure they both wanted to do more than they did, but hit head on with congress and the UN and were unable to do more.

It is a sad fact that, even with the intel, we were unable to properly react to the threat, other than a few warnings to the airlines of increased possible threat. It is a tough balancing act, of trying to protect ourselves and over reacting or under reacting to possible threats.

It's a shame how much polls and popular opinion get in the way of national security, knowing that much of the facts can't be given out to the public without tipping our hand, but without this support many politicians are too afraid to act.

just the opinions of an old retired navy guy.