Thread: Gear...
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #21
Rockfish9

Leader material..jarred bait and bait keeping devices

here is a display of leader marterial I carry in that blue soft sided tackle box( with the hooks and asorted fishing "tools")... for most trout fishing for rainbows, which is usualyin 6' of water or less ( usualy ALOT less) I use a short leader ( length of the trap) of 4lb test.. a size 12 hook for single salmon eggs.. a size 10 for power bait or combo power bait egg or multiple eggs...

for fishing the big pond( Winni) I use 6lb leader double the length of the trap with a #10 hook...

for browns and lakers I use 8lb test.. agian the leader is double the length of the trap...

also shown in the pictire is a devise called a minnow dip... I've had it over 20 years.. I'mnot even sure wher you can find them... the spring steel releases any formed ice that would destroy a fabric net.. it is small enough to leave in the insulated bucket if I so desire.
Where I plan on catching bass and pickerel I usualy use a #2 circle hook 10 lb leader double the length of the trap...

My main spool is rigged with a very small button for marking the depth... I splice a 30lb swivel to the main dacron line ( keeping as few knots as possible on the line for snagging puposes) I then tie my leader to the swivel and hook of choice... I usual do not use sinkers on my line, unless zI'm fishing very deep water (over 20') I prefer to have the shiner (or sucke or smelt) swimming a lrge free area.. ocasionaly a bait will keep swimming to the top towards the light in the hole.. if you put the hook lighly through the cartilage on one of the pectoral fins, the bait will swim down... I dont know why.. I onlt know it works...

pictured here is a selection of jarred baits.. mainly power bait and Salmon eggs...on real cold days keep thesein you pocket or they will freeze... thee too are stashed in that blue utility bag..

the last pictureis an array of bait keepers... most run on D sized batteries and will run a whole day on these... I use them to hep transfer bait to and from my fishing area so I can load the bucket wiht bait that might otherwise die due to over crowding on the way to their demise ( being served as breakfast)... you will notice one areator has a 12 volt cord around it.. that can be run to an outlet in the bed of my truck.. it has duel air outlets and is what I use when keeping bait over night in a large cooler when I'm away from home.. it also comes in handy when i am trapping bait...

The one on the bucket is a tri voltage areator... it will run on 120 AC I via a transformer plugged into anoutlet) it also will run with the flip of a switch on the 12 volt current of my truck when the adapter is plugged in... or it will run on two D sized batteries...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leader material.jpg (124.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Baits.jpg (54.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg bait keeping devices.jpg (79.0 KB, 23 views)

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote