View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Border Patrol and DEA seize about 775 tons of illegal drugs on the southern border and they say the great majority come thru ports of entry. I assume they know what they are talking about at least about where they apprehend the traffickers.
Assuming a human can carry 15 kilos which is a heavy load and likely means they could carry no water or food, it would take 60 people to carry each ton and a large number would be apprehended if any significant amount was moved that way. Border patrol and DEA would certainly be able to determine if that was happening, would they not?
"Most" (using that meme) legal "ports of entry" from Mexico are land based, not air or sea based (I was responding to Got Striper's claim that most drugs from south of the border were smuggled by air and sea). AZ Central, part of the USA network, reported that last year that about six times as much Meth was seized at ports of entry than between the ports, and about four times as much opioids at ports of entry than between the ports. The amounts seized has been rising both at ports of entry and between ports.

So there is an actual account of what has been "seized." How much that hasn't been caught has not been accounted for. And I assume that catching the stuff at ports of entry would be far more successful than doing so between the ports. So who knows how much has been and is being successfully smuggled between legal ports. And if port security is tightened enough, wouldn't it be likely that the amount smuggled across the open sections of the border would greatly rise?