Thread: Detriot
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #46
scottw

the comments from some of my customers recently who fancy themselves proud and lifelong liberal democrats(who are quite moderate and "have actually voted republican" they implore, but can't name any that they ever voted for) have been fascinating on these subjects....on Detroit..... "it's too bad"(noticeable lack of compassion) "but you really can't believe the numbers being tossed about because anyone can post anything on the internet these days".. especially that literacy number associated with Detroit(which surely requires even greater government intervention)...when I pointed out out that whatever numbers they believe or don't, a major American city has declared bankruptcy and is in ruin, they argue that "there are actually some great things going on in Detroit, like THE ARTS, it's just that no one ever talks about it".... pressed for specifics on THE ARTS in Detroit, they offer nothing but a smirk(what??? you don't know?? pffffft?)....when I ask if THE ARTS are going to help the population of Detroit in squalor of relieve the massive debt they reply "you have to start somewhere"...when I point out out that THE ARTS at the Detroit Museum are being appraised for likely fire sale they change the subject.....the subject turns to unfunded pensions, entitlements etc....one says, "these people need to be told that they are going to have to work a little longer and they can't retire with the expectation that the government is going to provide for them for the rest of their lives".....I point out that whenever someone stands up and says this, the folks that they tend to vote for and whose policies they trumpet run commercials with grannie being pushed off of a cliff in a wheelchair and make all sorts of ridiculous claims of draconian this or that....AND MY FAVORITE PART OF THE CONVERSATION ............"well, then they(republicans/conservatives) need to ignore that and yell even louder and keep saying it until the message gets through".....guess they missed that entire SCOTT WALKER in WISCONSIN episode...these folks despise "republicans", except "those like Lincoln Chaffe, Republicans need more of them" and conservatives are even worse.. causing severe bristling when mentioned and probably an itchy rash, I've known them for 25 years, they and a number of customers who I've known for the same period with a similar political leaning have an oddly dim view of the future currently, you'd think they'd be be enthusiastic as the people and policies that they have supported for the last 50 years(most are into their 70's now) are really gaining hold, we're becoming more like Europe every day(which is what we've been told we should be aiming for), part time working, massive government dependent, lawless and ruled by unaccountable elites....

a favorite line from another customer recently who is a super-lib, who frequently writes letters to the editor hammering republicans on a regular basis(had a ball with Romney), prints copies and signs them for me to take home with me when I visit him and who assured me that with Obama's reelection "things are going to be MUCH DIFFERENT NOW"(in a good way) but who is feeling the pinch of the Obama reality said intently ..."you know that I'm extremely liberal on every issue but when it comes to my money I'm very republican"..I said..."I have no doubt"

and....last but not least...when all else fails...relativity....."it doesn't really matter who the president is...things would be the same".....I said..." then you probably shouldn't bother voting next time around"

Last edited by scottw; 08-18-2013 at 04:41 AM..