View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #32
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I think you discount the parental influences, which allow your above statements to ring true. People seem to be stepping away from liability or their own children and expecting the Village to raise their child. They piss and moan when the schools don't do exactly as they see fit, but at the same token, won't hold responsibility for teaching their own children.

When I was teaching a voluntary afterschool activity for high school kids, if they showed up late or didn't show up at all, there was always an excuse. The parents would send an email or would come in and tell us to excuse their child - my favorite would be the notes we'd receive from doctors, psycs, part-time bosses, and older siblings. There were many times we knew the kid was playing hooky (because their peers would tell us) but then would have a note "Please excuse Jimmy. He had a Dr's appointment."

My long-winded point is that there is a trend of parents not even holding their own children responsible for their actions. When I was young and accidentally broke a neighbors window, I was the one that had to do yard work for them or paint their fence - today, a parent just pays for the window.

I think this all adds to the increasingly litigious state of this country.

agreed, want a new one? I was thinking of posting this and Im sure Fishbones will chime in.....I get a note from daycare, MA passed some requirement that if you're in daycare for more than 4 hrs or eat there, they have to brush the kids teeth. This is becasue of growing tooth decay. WTF !!!! So because some parents dont take care of their kids, we all have to do this? I'll bet any $$$$ it was a liberal who implemented this. So now we have massive flu hysteria and we're going to be having kids swaping spit and using toothbrushes at daycares. F'in nuts!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all